Wednesday 8 February 2017

Filming review

DAY 1
I think day 1 of filming went fairly well. We arrived at the location at around 9:30AM - this was slightly later than I would have liked, however we still had plenty of time to get everything done. I think my greatest strengh during day 1 of filming was my organisation - I had gotten the costume, props, camera, tripod, and the script all ready the night before, and I had also found a copy of the express train timetable, so we knew exactly when we would need to be set up to get the specific shot we wanted. In between the express trains coming, we filmed the other shots - we did have to plan this around the other trains pulling into the station, as there were a lot more people on each platform 10 or so minutes before each respective train came, but it didn't turn out to be too much of a problem because we were quite out the way of the main platform for most of it, and most people stayed out of the way of the camera. I didn't end up taking the storyboards with me, as I had a copy of the script, and I find it a lot easier to follow a written shot list rather than a visual one - I find it's a lot easier to include more detail. I made sure to get several versions of the same shot, so if one wasn't so good we wouldn't have to go back and re-film, as the lighting and weather may cause a noticeable difference in the final cut.

Here is a vlog I did after the first day of filming.

DAY 2
There wasn't much left to film on day 2 - it was mainly the short interior shots and sound that needed to be done. These were fairly simple shots that didn't take much time at all to film, and since they were internal it didn't matter too much when I filmed them because the external light was a lot less noticeable. After I finished filming, I went back to the train station on my own and recorded some ambient sound. This was fairly easy to do as all I had to do was figure out when there wouldn't be many people at the train station and just record 5 minutes of silence. I did a lot more than my final video would actually be as I didn't have any headphones in which I could hear an amplified version of the live sound I was recording, and so I couldn't tell where there were any noises that weren't meant to be there (if there were any at all). After I had loaded all the footage into Premiere Pro and listened back to the sound, I then knew what needed to be re-recorded and so I went out and did it (e.g. the noise of the boot slamming etc.)

Overall, both days went very well. I made sure to get plenty of footage for maximum choice during editing, and I tried to be as organised as possible so I had plenty of time actually on set to not only get what I needed, but experiment with different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment